Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Middle School Research Resources

What:
I will be working on a Google Site containing several resources for research. My goal is to help make the many processes involved in researching something accessible for students in 5-8th grade regardless of content area. Hopefully this will help standardize at least a few of the research skills required for good work and allow both teachers and students to access consistent procedures and vocabulary.

How:
My first goal for the Google Site is to either curate or create a series of instructional videos for specific moments in the research process. By the end of this project, it could be possible for a student to view the steps of research for an entire assignment!

To begin, though, I will be creating a series of screencast videos regarding bibliographies and in-text citations. I aim to have these videos complete before the beginning of the final trimester, as I will be conducting a research unit with ACS's 7th graders during that time. These initial videos will cover the following topics:

- Choosing a bibliography curator: the pros and cons of Easybib vs. Knightcite
- Correctly creating and formatting a bibliography
- Key Question: "What is an in-text citation, and why do I need them?"
- Formatting and integrating in-text citations.

No comments:

Post a Comment